Sunday, May 09, 2010
















Oh the wind. Blowing so hard it felt like it was blowing through me. My hands are shaking, my legs are heavy and frozen, I’m clapping my hands to warm them up. I’m surrounded by 35,000 runners but am alone, running by myself. The lady finishes the National Anthem, I shed my long-sleeved tee shirt and toss it to a volunteer who tosses it in a huge collection bag. Wow, I thought I was cold before, now I’m just wearing shorts, a short-sleeved tech shirt and my new pink arm-warmers and the wind is not letting up. Suddenly, the count-down starts and myself and my fellow runners start to crowd together, anticipating the start gun. Next thing I know, I see the start line and we’re off!
My corral was further back then I wanted so I knew I would need to make some moves to get past the slower runners in front of me. I quickly hop on the median with a few other runners and start passing people. Even though I was passing as many people as I could, I still only ran a 8:48. The wind was brutal and I could feel it slowing me down.
Mile 2-4 went smoothly. I stayed on the left side so I could more easily pass people by hopping in the grass or on the sidewalk. About mile 3.5, I feel an arm around my shoulder and look up to see my buddy, Lynk. He was looking and feeling great. We chatted for a minute and I wished him luck as I got back on pace. My legs started feeling tired which worried me so I took my Gu Chomps at mile 4. At this point the course turned to the west which put us straight into the wind which felt like someone was pushing me backwards. I dug in deep and pushed on, knowing I had a wonderful reason to keep running at mile 5.
I start searching the crowd as I come up on my turn and then I see them – my kids and parents! Kylie and Matthew are bundled up in blankets with huge poster boards, patiently waiting for me. Dad gets some pictures and I gave hugs and kisses to the kids. Matthew said “It’s my birthday.” And I said “I know, buddy, happy birthday!” And I took off, with a spring in my step, heading into the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
The crowd along Main Street is fabulous, loaded with fans and bands. I turn into the Speedway, with my legs feeling much better. Mile 6-8.5 are around the track and it’s pretty amazing to run and see how truly massive the track is. My energy and attitude are great, I’m hitting my goal times. The wind is less severe and I know that I’m about ½ way through. Suddenly, about mile 7, I hear a “Hi Mary” at my shoulder. I look over and see my runner friend, John, and just say “John” and smile. I’m thrilled because I really wanted to see him at some point this morning. And he’s looking great. We exchange quick status updates and he speeds off. Next big moment was crossing the famed “Yard of Bricks”. I see some people kneel down to kiss the bricks but I just yelled and threw my hands up as I crossed. And soon, I was leaving the Speedway and heading for the final last 4 miles.
Mile 9-10 were still really good. I took my next set of Chomps and could feel my legs re-energize. I hit mile 10 and know – hello, I only have a 5k left! I try to do the math in my head and know that if I hang at the pace I’ve been, I should make my goal of 1:47-1:48. But by mile 11, I started feeling fatigued. My legs were heavy and I was digging deep to keep going. I haven’t run anything over 11.5 miles since last May. I push those thoughts out of my head and grab a Gatorade. The crowd is on both sides of the road now as we’re approaching downtown. I keep telling myself - you only have 1.5 miles to go, you can’t stop and walk at this point! I see another water stop at mile 12 and walk through that to catch my breath and prepare for the finish. I turn on to the final road, which starts with a bridge over White River. I don’t notice the uphill part of the bridge and I really hit the downhill hard, trying to pick up some speed. But mile 13 seemed very long and I was hitting the wall. About mile 12.5, I started to feel my stomach getting upset so I slowed down a few seconds to let it settle. I know that my dad and husband would be watching for me so I just gritted my teeth and kept going. I don’t see a finish line, only large groups of balloons so I sprinted as fast as I could go and crossed the timing mats. I did it. I finished!
My official time was 1:49:56, just a few seconds slower then last year. I won’t lie, I was very disappointed that I didn’t beat my time from last year. But after considering the extreme wind and coming back from my stress fractures which kept me on the couch for 3 months this past summer, I couldn’t be disappointed for long. I did finish in the top 7% for my age division, 4665 out of 35,000.
Brett finished with a 1:34:15, he placed 1011 overall. My friend Lynk finished 1:52 and John made his goal of breaking 1:40 with a 1:39:58.
I’ll be back next year!!





No comments: