Tuesday, June 22, 2010

So proud!!

I took the kids to the local running track this evening to watch/support Brett while he did a tough speed workout.  I've been talking to Kylie about doing a 5k at Disney World next Feb and mentioned to her that if she wanted to run a few laps tonight, it would be good for her training.  So her and Matthew ran a lap, 1/4 mile, without difficulty.  After resting to catch their breath, they were both ready for another lap so we ran that, making it 1/2 mile.  Kylie sat down and decided that was enough for her.  Then Matthew stood up and started running again so Kylie said "I gotta go too!"   So they both did another lap for 3/4 of a mile!  After that lap, they both got some water and I told Kylie how proud I was of both of them and if she wanted to do just one more lap, it would be a full mile.  Next thing I know, she stands up and says "I can do that." and took off.   I sat with Matthew and yelled encouraging words to Kylie until she was about 1/2 way around then I ran the rest with her.  I heard her telling herself "I can do this, I can do this."  She crossed the finish line with her hands above her head and yelled "I did it!!"  I grabbed her and gave her a huge hug and told her how proud I was of her!  She ran a mile!! 
Then, next thing I know, Matthew lines up again and starts on his 4th lap.  I run with him the whole way with him and he made it more then 1/2 way without walking.  And when he did walk, it was for about 20 feet and he took off again, crossing the finish line with a smile. 
Later when I was giving Matthew a bath I asked him what he thought about running and he said "I liked it, it was practice and I like to practice."  Kylie kept saying "Are you proud of me, I'm proud of me."
I'm so proud of both kids, so awesome!!!  I told them both, mainly Kylie, that if they are able to do a full mile by the end of the summer, we'd buy them each a trophy.  My little runners!!!

No comments: