Saturday, January 30, 2016

Day 5 Donald’s Half Marathon


Once again our alarms sounded at 3:00.  We rose and dressed and were at the bus stop before 3:30.  Damaris and I had decided to dress as pirates today, wearing Ink N Burn pirate capris and short sleeved tops.  Weather was promising to be dry and overcast, so pretty perfect for running in Florida.  The security line was very long and slow, which became a concern as 15,000+ runners and spectators had to get through and nearly everyone had a bag with them.  But in true Disney fashion, they recognized the bottleneck and made some type of adjustment and we were through security. The massage tent wasn’t open for us to wait in but the temps were comfortable so it didn’t matter.  We waited around with several of Damaris’ friends and soon were off for the long walk to the starting corrals.  The previous races started in a nearby parking lot but the longer races started actually on a highway so we had to walk close to a mile to get there.  Richard was in a different starting corral than we were so we said goodbye and walked to corral G (I think there were nearly 20 corrals).  Plenty of people were sitting around and I weaved my way around them until we were just feet from the front.  I wanted to be as close to the front as possible so we could maybe have shorter lines at the characters and therefore a faster race.  Months before, Damaris and I had decided that we didn’t care about our finishing times but we did (me more than her) did care about pictures so I was going to get every character picture that I wanted. 
The race started with fireworks and each corral was walked to the starting line behind a large tape held by volunteers and released about 5 minutes apart, in the efforts to keep the course from getting too congested.  Soon it was our corral's turn and the volunteer asked for the nearest ladies to carry the tape with him so Damaris and I made our way to the front and held the ribbon, walking to the starting line.  So we, much to our excitement, were on the front row!  My toes were on the timing strip and the guy next to me crouched into a sprinting position to which I kinda made fun of, I mean come on, we’re corral G, you’re not going to win.  But anyways, once the fireworks went off and Donald said Go, I took off like a rocket, just to say that I was first for a few yards!  It was so funny, as least to me it was…..
The race was pretty uneventful for the first few miles.  We were looking forward to mile 2 because Capt. Jack and the Black Pearl has been there for the past several years and we wanted pictures with in him our pirate outfits.  Well, we were sorely disappointed to see a large hot air balloon and a huge light up Sebastian from Little Mermaid instead.   Oh well, best laid plans…  We kept running along and were soon approaching Magic Kingdom.  The monorail would sometimes honk as us as it passed along side the runners.  We ran past the characters from Nightmare Before Christmas without stopping (haven’t seen the movie, didn’t care for a picture).  I was getting disappointed that there weren’t more characters out.  But just before MK, I heard the theme music from Wreck It Ralph
and knew we needed to stop for a picture.  Plus, I think we both were ok with a chance to catch our breaths.  While we waited in line, Damaris looked for and saw Richard but he didn’t notice us.  We got the picture and made our way into MK.  It’s so exhilarating to come in a hidden side entrance and see Main Street.  And this time was even better as a huge Christmas tree was still up at the entrance.  Spectators were thick here, all cheering for us.  I ran down Main Street and got a little emotional when I saw the castle all lit up in icicle lights.  I had worked so hard with training and saved for so long for this moment, I just wanted to stay on Main Street!  But alas, soon we were turning toward Tomorrow Land but not before a few pictures of the castle. 
Tomorrowland was in front of us and I saw a line of people but they were waiting for Mike from Monster’s Inc and I had already had a picture with him so we skipped.  Next was Fantasyland and there was the Red Queen and Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, nope, not interested.  In my mind, I was thinking there would be princesses ahead and longer lines.  A few yards away was the mime from Tangled, which we also skipped (probably should have stopped but I didn’t recognize who he was until we had past).  Next thing we knew, we were ready to run under the castle and off to the left, 

 I see a guy kneel down and propose to his girlfriend!  How cool!  Elsa, Anna and Christoph were on the balcony of the castle and fake snow was coming down but I didn’t even stop to try for a pic as I can’t stand Frozen.  So, we ran through the castle, slowing down for as many photographers as we could and pulled over to get pics right in front of the castle.  Suddenly, I heard a man call my name and I looked in the crowd and saw an old high school friend who lives in Orlando waving at me!   What are the odds?!  He must have see what I was wearing on my FB page and kept an eye out for me.  Thanks for saying hi, Danny!
So after the castle was Liberty Square and Frontierland.  Clarabelle Cow was there but I was getting mad at the quality of characters and refused to stop for her.  I kept remembering the last time I ran through here it took nearly an hour with all the photo stops.  Oh well, nothing I could do about it.  Just outside MK though, we find Capt Hook, Peter Pan, Smee and the Lost Boys!  We knew we had to stop, it might be our only picture with a pirate while dressed like pirates!  Wendy was funny and backed away as we walked up and the Lost Boys goofed around.   I think the picture turned out pretty well. 
We ran out and hit the very narrow side streets leading away from MK.  We run about a mile and go past the Grand Floridian.  I recognize Gene, the founder of Charity Miles, cheering here so I yell out his name and got a wave back.  Mary Poppins and Burt were up next so I did get a picture with them.  Then we found Goofy by a golf cart so got a picture with him as well.  We ran past Polynesian but skipped Stitch as I had his picture already.  Soon we were back on the boring highway and making our way back to Epcot.  There are a few hills here, including a ramp at mile 10 where the Army men from Toy Story stand and yell for you to run harder.  Quick picture here and we’re moving on. 
Before we know it, we’re entering Epcot through the front gates (different than what I remembered from before), run under Spaceship Earth and back towards World Showcase.  I see Scrooge McDuck and stop for a picture and then see Genie dressed as a tourist and have to stop again.  Also, there were no lines for the photographers in front of Spaceship Earth so we get pictures there too.  We turn at the entrance of WS, run back to Spaceship Earth, pass the gossip choir singing hymns at mile 13 and run to the finish line.  We finished in 2:52, which was a PR for Damaris and I in the half! 
We make our way through the finishing area and find Richard and start sharing stories.  The bus ride back to the hotel was quick and we decided to have breakfast in the café there.  We were all pretty hungry and the eggs, bacon and coffee hit the spot!  Richard was planning on driving home that day so he packed up and we said goodbye.  Damaris and I laid down for a nap but weren’t too tired so we took the boat over to Disney Springs to pick up my finished ornament and then decided to visit the hotel hot tub.  That was so relaxing.  We talked to the other runners there (it was pretty full of people relaxing sore legs) and got a few drinks.  The pool area was pretty cool, I think my kids would like this hotel a lot.  We returned to the room very relaxed and took a nice nap.
Yes, that's a real backscratcher in my drink
That evening, we decided to go back to the monorail resorts to visit some of the other bars that we missed on our first night.  We found several of Damaris’ friends at the Contemporary Hotel’s Outer Rim bar so we just stayed there for a while.  They were all very friendly and everyone was happy to share race stories and strategies for the marathon the next day.  But Damaris and I did have dinner reservations at Kona Café at Polynesian so we said goodbye and took the monorail there.  We were early so we went back to the Tambu Lounge and I got a Backscratcher drink (so, so good) and we split another order of pork nachos. The bar was very busy, that poor bartender was earning his money that night.  Soon our dinner table was ready and we were surprised to have our waiter from breakfast and even more surprised that he remembered us.  I don’t remember anymore what I had to eat but I know the sweet bread was amazing and I had no leftovers of my dinner!  One thing we did right, we ate some amazing meals!! 

After dinner, we headed back to the room to pack up and prepare for the marathon.  I had decided that day to buy a one day ticket to MK and go there after the marathon was finished so I needed to have my bags to the bell hop the next morning.   It took some arranging and forethought but I soon had my things for the race, after the race and things I wouldn’t need at all that day packed up.  I think we got to bed about 11pm.  Only one more early morning left.  Bittersweet. 

No comments: