Friday, February 04, 2011

Ice Storm of the Decade!

Wow, we got hit with a major ice storm this week.   We have plenty of warning so I went to the grocery store and got lots of food.  I was worried about us losing power so I stocked up.   Monday night it started with freezing rain which caused school for both kids to be canceled.  Tuesday was dry but about an inch of ice coated everything.  Brett stayed home, as did most of Indianapolis.  I did break free to run at the gym, the main road was fine.  About 2 miles in, Brett texted me to say that the rain/sleet was starting up again so I quit at 4 miles to head home.  Although I had only been gone for an hour, the roads were getting much worse.  I was glad to get home.   School was canceled for Wednesday by 4:00 on Tuesday.  We could hear the sleet bouncing off the house for several hours and the wind was picking up too.
Wednesday morning, we woke up to an additional inch of ice plus some snow on top of that.  Brett stayed home again.  The kids were getting cabin fever so we made some cookies and kept playing Wii and watching tv.  Again that afternoon I was able to get to the gym safely.  School was canceled for the third day that afternoon.  Although the main roads were fine, the side roads, parking lots and sidewalks were an ice rink and just not safe for children to walk on. 
Thursday brought a better day.  Brett was able to go to to work and I took the kids in the morning to the gym.  They were so ready to get out of the house.  After that we went back home and I started to tackle the driveway.  It took all the ice melt we had and 3 full hours of serious work to get it cleared.  But we couldn't wait for the ice to melt on it's own, we're expecting more snow and cold temps for the next few days.
Church has been closed all week so we hosted our life group at our house.  I quickly remembered why we have it at the church now, all those kids and adults are just too much for one house!  But they all said they had fun and it was good to see our friends. 
Kylie went back to school on Friday with a 2 hour delay.  Matthew and I went to school with her to help out her teacher.  Kylie is also having a sleep over with some friends at our house this evening.  Life is never boring, is it?

No comments: