Saturday, September 19, 2009

I ran the Indianapolis Irish Fest 5K this morning. I didn't know what to expect from my legs or lungs. I was praying that I wouldn't have pain in my hip but also praying that I could finish in a respectiable time for me.

Brett was kind enough to use this 5K as a training run for his marathon and ran at my pace for encouragement.I started off strong, felt great. I was running without my ipod because I had read that there would be bagpipers along the route. Well, there wasn't so it was a quiet run other then Brett telling me my pace (and he said he thought the Garmin was a bad investment - ha!).The route was right through downtown so that was neat, we ran on the major roads and around the "circle". I was feeling a little tired at mile one and started to doubt if I could keep up my pace (8:15 at this point). I must have zoned out or speed up or something because mile 2 was at a 7:45. But once we hit mile 2.5, I was gassed. Lungs killed, stomach hurt, emotionally shot. I stopped to throw up (I didn't but sure thought I was going to) and Brett turned in to Coach Nabb. Through his "encouraging words" I was able to gut out the last .6 miles. Finishing time of 25:45.

So, not my best race. Actually that's the worst that I've done in a 5k. But considering I was only given the ok to run and only 15 mins at a time at that last FRIDAY, I think I did ok. Actually, other then the near hurl and yelling between Brett and I, I did well considering. Here are the official stats based on gun time, not watch time:

There were 54 finishers in the Female 30 to 34 age group and 555 finishers in the race.
Your overall finish place was 160 and your age group finish place was 5. Your time of 27:00.7 gave you a 8:43 pace per mile.


Just for kicks, I checked the finishing times for my age division. The second place finisher had the EXACT same time as I had for the 5K I ran in April. So, at least I know that if I had been healthy, I would have been 2nd!

No comments: